Trip to Glacier National Park

MY TRIP TO GLACIER NATIONAL PARK               (Newest comments are at the top)



July 17, 2018

Dad drove Highway 2 south out of West Glacier.  I have to admit, we saw some beautiful country side.  God knows what he is doing.  Here is a YouTube link to 30 seconds of today's 1 hour trip.  (we traveled from West Glacier to East Glacier, 58.5 miles)
https://youtu.be/0RP6ICC_qgY

We also saw this really neat railroad bridge next to highway 2.
There was this really neat creek that ran beside Hwy 2 for a long time.


The days all run together for me (besides, I'm a cat).  While we were there I saw only one deer and one chipmunk,

but lots of birds (near the motor home) and no bears.

Just in case you forgot, this is what Lily looks like when camping:

Within walking distance of our campsite is Apgar Village.  Mom and dad rode their bikes and told me they visited Lake McDonald.  It is another Glacier fed lake so it is crystal clear.





There was a bunch of people swimming in that cold, cold water.  I didn't ask, but I bet they were from Canada!  I was looking down into the water from the end of the pier for fish.  It was clear enough, but I saw none.  I bet the swimmers scared them off.

They left me alone one day and took a free shuttle ride up to Logan Pass.  Here is a YouTube video of the highlights.
https://youtu.be/bFcfIr_vgR4


July 15, 2018
We have moved to Apgar Campground inside Glacier National Park.  Mom and dad met another "outta towner" while at church who was staying inside the Apgar Campground.  They (Mark & Angela) said they would wait until we arrived before they would leave so we could have their campsite, B87.  Apgar Campground is a "first come - first served" campground.  No reservations can be made for any campsite.  We have also been told by the people at church that at this time of year, the campground can fill up fast.  Sometimes, before noon.

We have also been told that the Apgar Campground is COMPLETELY off the grid.  No TV, no Internet and no phone service.  I guess we will see/hear from you on Wednesday!!

 July 13 & 14, 2018
We left early this morning.  No one asked me.  I wasn't done napping.  Oh well, not to bad they stopped just up the road at Kootenai Falls Park and Swing Bridge..

Here's a video of the falls.

Here's pictures of the swing bridge.


And pictures of the water from the swing bridge.


For lunch they stopped at "The Last Straw".  Mom said it was a great place to have lunch.  She likes the small cafe's.  Dad had "fun" getting the motor home in and out of the parking lot.  Mom had Huckleberry pancakes with Huckleberry syrup and dad had eggs with hash browns. Um, good!!
I went back to bed and when I woke up we had parked in Glacier Peaks RV Park.  Dad says this place is a rip off.  $46 a night!  Plus you have to pay to take a shower.  $2 for 8 minutes.  At least there is cable TV and pretty good Internet. 
There appears to be a motorcycle rally nearby.  Why do these people have to have such loud bikes?  I don't do loud!!!

 July 12, 2018
Mom and dad are at it again.  We left the comfort of all the trees (with birds) and hit the road.  They stopped for lunch at this little area called the Moyie River Scenic Overlook near Moyie Springs Idaho.  It was a small circle driveway off highway 2.  But it was very quiet.  From the overlook area one could see the bridge we just crossed over (trust me, it's a long way down)
and the Moyie River Dam

Finally, they stopped for the day at Kootenai River Campground.  As you can see, dad just did squeeze us in between the trees.
I might be on squirrel patrol tonight. 

     Dad is such a tease!  Just before dinner mom & dad walked down to the Kootenai River.  I was so excited, because I knew they would bring me back supper.  But nope!  All he brought back was this picture of the river.  Oh well.  I'll beg mom for some tuna.


July 11, 2018
At 7 am this morning I protected mom (I don't care about dad, his driving is making me sick) from an attack from the funnest looking dog I've ever seen.  It was huge, had these large pointy ears and this white butt.  It's long legs made it look funny as it walked away.
Dad drove for what seemed all day.  We stopped at Costco and Walmart Super-center for gas and food.  We finally stopped at Wild Rose RV Park.  A very nice RV Park North of Spokane WA.
Mom and dad both took a shower.  They have pay for showers here!!  25 cents for 2 minutes of water.  You pay for the parking spot and then pay for the amenities.
In all of our travels, we've only seen "pay for showers" 3 times.  Thank goodness the Internet is great.  The laundry is also very cheap here.  $1 to wash and $1 to dry.  So they did laundry.  They took away my bed!!!  They better have it back by the time I go to bed tonight!


July 10, 2018
Mom & dad took advantage of the fast Internet and did some work.  (paid bills & made money).  They left late in the morning, about 10:30 am.  The first place they went to was the Sun Lakes-Dry Falls State Park.  They were thinking of spending the night here but the place was filled with noisy kids and no shady spots.  Dad made a good call and left.  Just to eat lunch in the parking lot they wanted $10.  We left and ate lunch at the Dry Falls Visitor Center.  This place was interesting.  It is a big hole in the ground made by a rushing river before they put the dam in.  I wanted to go down there.  I saw fish swimming around.
After lunch they left and settled in for the night at Goose Creek RV Park & Campground in Wilbur Washington.  It is a really nice small family owned park inside of town with lots of grass and trees.  There is a small creek nearby.  I'll have to go fishing after dinner.
Oh by the way, Highway 2 is a bumpy, curvy road, with lots of hills and mountains.  I am beginning to question dad's driving ability.  How hard is it to miss a bump in the road!!!
After I woke up from my nap, I noticed mom and dad were gone.
I learned when they returned they had gone out to eat at Billy Burgers.
 While mom and dad were feeding their faces I learned Wilbur Washington is the home of crop circles.  Alien's visited this area of Lincoln County, Washington and leave crop circle's!
That's scary!  I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight.


July 9, 2018

Here is a concatenated video of short snippets of river rapids alongside Highway 2 from our dash cam (click on the link below):
 https://youtu.be/NrInUGQFuiM

Here is a concatenated video of a Bavarian village, bridges and a tunnel from our dash cam (click on the link below):
 https://youtu.be/e9QV09AKp-I


We left around 9:30 am because the internet was down.  (Yes they emptied the tanks, thank you!)  Then 2 miles down this winding narrow road, a big truck turned out of a driveway and got stuck.
All I'm going to say is it was a female government employee driving the truck.
Dad turned around and we continued on.  About 15 extra miles to our trip and a dozen extra bumps.
We stopped for lunch at Deception Falls Picnic Area.  It was nice.  I could hear the water rushing by.  I could almost imagine myself catching the fish.





Here's a couple of videos they took.  You can really hear the power of the water!
Here's a picture of mom and dad clowning around near the river.
Here's mom hugging a BIG tree.
The finally stopped for the night at Chelan County Expo Center.  This place has full hook-up including great Internet for $27 per night.  There are only a hand full of people here today.  We are at 929 feet above sea level and it got hot!!  90 degrees hot.  I could have stayed in Arizona for that kind of heat.

Later tonight, mom wants dad to post pictures of all the neat old bridges we went through.



July 8, 2018
As we left this morning, Dad said we are going to Glacier National Park.  (Maybe I'll see a bear!?)  He also said it was about 700 miles from here.  But we are going to take our time and it will take a week to get to the west side of Glacier.  There will be more mountains.   I fear, this will make it more difficult for you to use any satellite software to find me.  But I believe in you.  I have faith!! You can do it.
Dad did not make any reservations this trip and today it bit us.  When we got to the Lake Pleasant RV Park they were all full.  So we had to continue driving until the Thousand Trails Thunderbird RV Park.  They paid $61 for one night.  Very over priced for a flat piece of land with electricity, if you ask me.  But they did not.  They said they needed to stay because the tanks were full.  I suppose an over filled tank would be "smelly."  We're right next to the road with lots of loud trucks and super fast motorcycles.  I stayed hidden all night.  Those trucks are not going to find me!
Here's the view outside the front windshield.



Comments

Popular Posts