May, June & July 2021

 I heard we will be spending the whole month of May, June and part of July in the state of South Dakota.  Did you know I have traveled over 2,600 miles so far?  As you can see, I'm exhausted!  But, I am starting to get used to all this traveling!!


May 1st, 2021

We all sat around the laptop and live streamed a local church service.  While they were eating lunch we all heard a loud bang from the rear AC.  Dad turned it off and climbed up on the roof.  He found the problem.


The motor mounts broke for the fan motor, thus twisting and breaking the fan blade.  A quick (30 mile) drive to Mitchell, SD allowed us to buy all the parts needed to repair the AC.  Just in time too.  It was 90 degrees outside and 91 degrees inside.  I got hot with my fur coat on!!!

May 5th, 2021

 Mom and dad went into Mitchell South Dakota to visit a thing called The Corn Palace.  This place is strange!  All the murals are all made from ears of corn.


May 6th, 2021

I had to wake dad up early this morning.  I heard a 2 legged squatter up on the roof of the slide out!!!  I made dad get up there and evict them. 

 I told dad, I'll take care of the four legged squatters, you take care of all the others.
 
May 9th,2021

I made dad go outside to evict the neighbors upstairs, again.  The robins have built a nest in the same place three times.  Dad keeps taking it down and they keep rebuilding.  They are slow learners!!!

May 19th, 2021

After lunch I was left alone to fend for myself while they went to Mitchell, South Dakota Lake.  The Mitchell Lake is located just minutes from downtown and is a man-made reservoir that was built in 1928 to serve as a drinking water supply and recreation.  More information here!!

 


May 26th, 2021

 Early this morning I noticed mommy putting things away.  That means we are moving.  I don't like moving day!!  So I got in my box and tried to hide.  It didn't work.  Mommy found me and then she let dad drive.  We stopped after awhile at a rest stop.  They visited a small chapel.  I said a quick prayer for dad's driving.  We need all the help we can get!!!



 A while later dad stopped in a small hole in the wall town named Kimball, South Dakota.  This town has a population of 700 and very little money (by the looks of most of the houses).  But dad parked in this very small RV campground (25 sites) at a daily cost of $24.50.

As you can see from the pictures, we have trees!!!!!  Trees means birds.  I like to catch birds.  Well, I think I'd like to catch a bird.  I haven't yet, but I try!!!!!!  We have full hook-up including pretty good WI-Fi.

Mom and dad left me after set-up to go to the grocery store.  But I learned they went Oacoma to visit with "ugly over weight dogs with horns".


 Then they visited the South Dakota Veterans Park Chamberlain, SD.




I love our military!!

 Mommy told me, they also stopped at a rest stop with this huge DIGNITY statue.


When they finally got home, I was hungry.  Then it started to rain, again.  I'm going to eat and go back to bed!

May 30th, 2021

Somewhere around 10 am, dad started the engine.  This is my clue to go hide.  I went into the back, on the bed, to hide from dad's driving.  I didn't peek out until mile marker 172 when I saw this skeleton man walking his Dinosaur.

Here's a short video 

About 2 pm we arrived at Minute Man RV Park & Lodging.  The park was half empty.

Here's what it looked like at supper time:

 

To say I can smell my neighbor is an understatement!!

There was a major mix up about our site, but dad got it all worked out.  However, he had a real problem getting Lily 2 to level.  I was starting to loose my patience with him when he finally got it.

As I was checking out the area I watched mom and dad leave me all alone while they went up the road to the Minuteman Missile Visitors Center.  I'm glad they learned all about the cold war missile contest with the Russians.

On the way home dad took mom to this Prairie Dog Farm, boasting of a 6 ton Prairie Dog.  Mom said they are so cute.  I hope she doesn't bring one home!!


May 31st, 2021

MEMORIAL DAY 2021; Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for honoring and mourning the military personnel who have died in the performance of their military duties. The holiday is observed on the last Monday of May. The holiday was observed on May 30 from 1868 to 1970.

With all that being said, I was left all alone to celebrate while they went out to the Badlands National ParkThey said it was much prettier than they expected.
They drove the 40 mile HWY 240 Badlands Loop which shows the vast differences of the grass lands and the eroded and rugged geologic formation deposits.  They saw lots of rugged formations.




They saw Big Horn Sheep


They saw Buffalo


Dad even took a video of the Buffalo


Then they went to Wall's Drug Store to eat and shop.  


 After eating they went shopping.  They walked and walked and walked. 

But they didn't get me anything!!  Not a thing!!  But they did have time to see a dinosaur (click here).

Before they were all done, they saw a huge deer made out of car parts!  Weird!!

They finally got home in time to feed me.  Thank goodness!!!!

Be sure and look at all the pictures, leave a comment if you wish

June 1st, 2021

Mom and dad got a really late start today.  I guess it had something to do with only traveling 61 miles today.

I was so proud of dad today!  As soon as we left the park, he had to brake really hard to keep from hitting a prairie dog in the middle of the road.  Here's a short video of that prairie dog playing "chicken" with dad.  Stupid dog!!


Anyway, dad got us to Americas Mailbox RV Campground in one piece.  We'll be here 40 days getting drivers licenses and other stuff done.

 June 8th, 2021

About dusk a huge storm appeared out of the west.  There was lightening, thunder and rain.  All that was bad enough, but then it started to hail.  These were humongous, large, basketball size HAIL!!  I kid you not!!!!!

It was raining down out of the sky with such force, as if damage was the intent.  I was scared.  I crawled into my box and covered my ears from all the noise the rain was making on the fiberglass roof.  Mommy came over and protected me until the rain stopped.  I don't know what dad was doing.  I bet he was laughing at me.  I'll get him back when he least expecting it.  You'll see my little pretty's!!!

June 9th, 2021

I always thought South Dakota was pretty smart.  Until today!!  Today South Dakota gave mommy and daddy new driver's licenses.  Mom I understand, but DAD!?  Come-on!!  They didn't even give him a driving test.  Which of course he would have failed, making the world a safer place.  Oh well!!

June 10th, 2021

Today was another hot day.  It was 91 degrees with 48% humidity.  The "feel like" temperature was 101.  But that wasn't the bad part.  Right at the 10 o'clock news time the winds picked up along with the rain, thunder and lightening.  As you can see below, we received winds gust of 64 MPH.

I'm surprised we are not on the east coast!!!  Lily 2 rocked and rolled until almost 3 am.  Nobody got any sleep!!  The awnings above the slide-outs were flapping from the wind like the beaks of seagulls at an all you can eat sushi bar!  At least the temperature will be cooler for once.  We will have a high of a very nice 76 degree.  Then it goes back up to the 90's.  Doesn't the weatherman know I'm wearing a fur coat?

Did you know South Dakota is the 6th windiest state?

June 13th, 2021

While mom and dad were eating french toast, for breakfast, I was protecting them from Thumper


As you can see, all he did is eat all our grass out the front door.  He finally got scared of me and left!  I am so proud!!

June 23rd, 2021

Daddy ordered 2 new reading glasses today.  They will come in some time around the middle of July.  So, mommy talked him into staying another 30 days here in this campground.  Maybe when the new glasses come in he will be able to see better when he's driving!!  At least I'm safe until August 11th.  That's our new departure date from South Dakota.  From here we go south to Cheyenne, Wyoming.  From there we go west to Salt Lake City, Utah.

June 24th, 2021

This morning while I was taking my morning nap, they left!  They went on a drive on the Iron Mountain Highway.  They saw tunnels carved into the rock.  It's a good thing I stayed here with Lily2.  Because those tunnels are too small for Lily2 to go through.




Then they stopped in at Mount Rushmore Memorial again.  This is their second time visiting here.


On the way home, mom said she has a need for speed!! So they stopped at the Rush Mountain Adventure Park and rode the high-speed rail coaster.


June 28th, 2021

I don't know why, but I had a bad night.  I didn't sleep all that well.  So as soon as my humans got out of my bed, I went to sleep.  I learned later that they went to Custer State Park.  It was another driving tour.  They saw a couple of buffalo and some really neat looking tunnels and bridges on Needles Highway.



They also went to Mount Coolidge Fire Watch Tower.  They said they could see for miles and miles and miles.  I'm not sure what they saw!!



After lunch at the Power Room restaurant, they went to the Rushmore Tramway Adventures.  They took a chair lift to the top

 


 and then raced down hill on coasters like little kids.  I worry about them some-times!!!



But they got home in time to feed me.  I know what's important!!!

June 30th, 2021

After lunch mom and dad went across the street to a gun range.  Dad said they were just "plinking around"!  I don't know but I think mommies bad guy is deader than dads!!!  What do you think?  I think dad should be careful!!!


July 5th, 2021

After a very noisy 4th of July, I was confused when daddy took out the sleeper couch and made mommy a piano bar. 


I'm not happy!!! :(  I can't see out the window!!!!

July 7th, 2021

Mom and dad left me to nap (with the AC on).  They took a driving tour of Needles Highway (South Dakota), in the Black Hills near Custer State Park.  They went through 3 different tunnels:

Hood Tunnel


Iron Creek Tunnel

Finally, the Needles Eye Tunnel


Some lady tried to crash into moms Jeep.  Surprisingly, dad was able stop in time

They took lots of pictures of the Black Hills around Needles Highway.  So pretty!!!!!!! One of the rock formations looked just like a TiKi Head


They stopped for a picnic lunch at the Hole In The Wall Picnic Area.

July 15th, 2021

I am not a happy camper!!  Mom and dad left me all alone and went to Spearfish Canyon. 


There is the Spearfish creek running through this canyon.  In the Spearfish Creek there are FISH!!!  I didn't get one!!!

In the canyon there are water falls too.  This one is the Roughlock Falls.

July 23rd, 2021

Today a used blue thing invaded my space.  Now the piano bar has a lounge chair.


  Actually, some very good friends of mommy had an extra chair and sold this one to us.

July 30th, 2021

Luckily, I was left at home today.  My humans drove down to Hot Springs and visited Evans Plunge Mineral indoor water park.


I'm so embarrassed!!  My humans acted like children by running around, going down the slides and swimming in the mineral water.  I don't care how good it is for you, I'm not taking a bath!!!



Click here to view all the pictures taken in May, June or July 21


Comments

  1. I really enjoyed following you in S Dakota. Tiger, you are a real trooper! I can't believe all you have to put up with! If you get too tired of all that traveling tell your mom and dad to bring you back to our house in AZ and I will take your place. You'd like it here. (I think) We have a dog named Hopi (she tolerates cats well! and a cat named Fido. Anyway, I'll be thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at all those cool, beautiful places. The tunnels are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such beautiful scenery, those tunnels are awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts